How to Win Friends; The Sad Truth...

Brieft Summary: Kids tend to become best friends with other kids who are similar to themselves. A team of scientists studied 5th and 6th graders for about a year and came to the conclusion that the kids that made and kept best friends over the whole year were "similar others." 

At the same time, kids who tend to become friends with someone of another racial background are more open to world wide issues involving that race, as opposed to those who dont. Finally, kids only being able to create relationships with people who are like them is an unconcious bias that might also close our minds to pople from other groups. Instead we should try to encourage ourselves and others to be open to people who are unique and different from you. 

Question: From your own experice, would you agree that people who are best friends are alot like one another? Also, do you have a friend of another race, if so, are you more open to world wide issues involving that race?

4 comments:

tcolossa said...

I would agree that best friends are alot like one another. Thats how many best friends are formed, by realizing they have alot in common. I met my best friend through sports. We both enjoyed the same sports/activities and had alot of other things in common as well. From this experience, I would agree with the statement that best friends are similar. Also, from personal experience, I would agree that if you have a friend of another race, you are more open to world wide issues involving that race. Once I became friends with someone of the Pakistanian race, I became more open to the issues regarding Pakistanians.

Drodrigues said...

I agree that best friends are a lot alike. I think that it is easier to become friends with someone you have something in common with because it is easier to talk to them and to connect. And since it is easier to connect you are more likely to share your problems with them and they would share theirs with you. I agree that having friends that are other races will make you more open to world issues.
-Derrick Rodrigues

Maisam said...

I do agree with the statement that best friends are a lot like one another. Everyone makes friends that are different from them but for a best friend, people usually seem to make someone who's like them. I am best friends with someone who's Portuguese and we enjoy listening to the same kind of music and we enjoy doing mostly same kinds of activities. Since I'm a Pakistani myself and have a Portuguese best friend, I can say from experience that if your friends with a person from another race, you certainly are open to world-wide issues. My friend and I talk about our religion, culture and beliefs and each point out similarities and a lot of differences between our two different culture and now I'm more open to the Portuguese culture and some of their issues too and vice-versa from my friend where he's open to Pakistani issues, etc.
--Dan. Raza

Marianna said...

Best friends have to have a connection withe each other, but don't necessarily have to be alike. You can (and should) have differing opinions, but the way you handle those differences is what makes the tightest bonds between friends. Of a different race, i dont know, but having a friend of a different nationality definitely opens your eyes to the world and broadens your scope on life and everyone around you.