Ditch the “I’m a Procrastinator” Label

People can procrastinate a little or a lot if they have labeled themselves as a “procrastinator.” Procrastination is an automatic problem habit where you put off a timely, relevant, activity until later. For example, by just calling yourself a procrastinator, you can cause your brain to fall under the idea that you’re a procrastinator that will wait until the last minute to get things completed. 

This self-label is an identity trap when overgeneralization occurs. You generalize yourself as a member of the procrastination club because you notice this behavior in yourself and have done it several times, if not more. So, if you can find good traits, characteristics or even a talent that help lose the identity deception. For example, giving yourself multiple labels can cause you to put aside the procrastination

The article mentions “If you can predict procrastination, you can teach yourself to control the process and procrastinate less,” is the best way to get rid of the habit.

Question: Do you believe it is possible to resolve procrastination issues? Why?

5 comments:

Marianna said...

I think procrastination is a habit - and breaking a habit is a hard thing to do. Labeling yourself as a procrastinator doesnt make you procrastinate - you must have a long term habit built up to be a chronic procrastinator. Resolving procrastination issues is nearly impossible, because it is built up over several years. If you were to really break the habit, you would have to set your mind specifically to finishing the task, however, unless this is done for each and every task, you will always have procrastination issues.

tcolossa said...

I do believe it is possible to resolve procrastination issues. While doing so may be hard, it is very possible. With the proper help and the desire to change, it is possible. It's an addiction, much like smoking, and like any other addiction, it can be resolved.

kraynock said...

I believe that it's definatly possible to solve procrastination issues. I agree with Trevor and would also look at it as an addiction. I can say this from my own person experience with procrastination. I will admit, all throughout highschool I have been a procrastinator. If I was given long term essays, assignments or projects, I would do them mostly the night before they were due, even if I was given time in school. I kept telling myself that it wasn't procrastination and that it was the fact that I needed to be at home to concentrate, but I was wrong. I even waited until the last minute to study for tests. I'm not saying I wouldn't get my work done on time, I always would, but it would always all be piled up for me to do at the last minute. This year I decided that I wasn't going to be a procrastinator. From the first day of school I did my assignments in advance and really concentrated on planning my time better. I can proudly say that I have broken my addiction, and now my life is more stress free and my grades are better. I even did my blog post earlier in the week so i wouldn't be waiting until Thursday night. All in all, procrastination can be resolved.

Zach said...

I believe that procrastination is a habit but like any habit can be broken as long as the person has dedication, like in Kirsten's case where she tried and finally broke her procrastination habit.

Maisam said...

I believe it is possible but procrastination is a habit and to change that habit, a person is going to have to change their schedule and how they do things.

Dan Raza