Too Much Stress? Try Pleasure.

When people are feeling stressed out they usually turn to things that give them pleasure. Sometimes these pleasurable things or activities can be considered as an unhealthy coping mechanism because whatever it may be is not solving the problem; it is only putting it off for the moment. 
 
Common pleasurable “escapes” are food and sex. Recent studies at the University of Cincinnati have showed that pleasurable activities like food and sex actually does reduce stress levels through brain pathways by inhibiting anxiety responses in the person’s brain. Even small amounts of food can reduce a person’s stress levels for a week—this is due to the taste of the food not the quantity. It doesn’t matter whether its sweets, spicy food, or any other kind of food, all that matters is that it is appealing to the person. 

Research has shown that people crave food or just want to engage in certain activities even if it is out of their norm during times of stress because it is their body’s way of trying to relieve itself of the stress. Stress leads people to overeat and even act-out sexually which in turn can lead to obesity and sexual addiction. These findings prove that these pleasurable activities reduce stress so therefore other pleasurable activities can serve as an alternative in reducing stress. 
 
Past research has shown that there are many different activities out there that the body finds pleasurable and effective in reducing stress even if the person themselves does not think of it as enjoyable. There are many different activities out there, it is up to the individual to find which one is pleasurable to them.

Q: What kinds of activites are pleasurable to you during periods of stress?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Depending on what I'm stressing about there are different activities that are pleasurable to me when I stress. Sometimes its eating, hanging out with friends, or going for a walk. These activities help me not be as stressed out.

Olivia Marczyk

KatieMay said...

When stressed I enjoy exercising. I like this because it's a healthy way for me to relieve my stress. I also hang out with friends to help relieve my stress.

Katie May

Danielle P said...

Some activities i do when im stressed are running and hanging out with my friends. I find running to be helpful because it releases a lot of stress and anger and its healthy. Hanging out with my friends is also a good stress reliever because they make me laugh.
-danielle pelkowski

Vicki Sanborn said...

When I'm stressed I listen to my iPod or buy new music. I also like to deter my attention by hanging out with my friend's and doing something outside of what my stressors pertain to.

rachel6wallace said...

When I'm stressed, I go to the gym to work out and I talk to friends. I find when I work out, the endorphines that are released relax me, and talking to friends help me vent.

FasterThanAKenyan said...

Hardly ever get stressed or angry, more likely just depressed. If I get stressed or angry or something, bottling the feelings helps keep that stuff at bay. I've found that I'm happiest when I'm in a relationship, actually.

-Tony Wright

Becky P said...

The kind of activitites that are pleasurable to me when I'm stressed would have to be listening to my music and being on my computer. When listening to music I just let everything not bother me and just close my eyes and listen to what ever song I may be listening to. Maybe even sing along. When I am on my computer I will just browse the internet, Youtube videos, edit some pics that I take. Anything to get me away from any stress that I may have.

Anonymous said...

Taylor Tufano

When I am stressed, I usually just cry because it makes me feel better. Also, I like to be with my friends or boyfriend depending on what's stressing me out. Listening to music, or sometimes exercising is a good way to help me relieve my stress. I like to do whatever I can to help me get rid of the stress building up.

Maisam said...

Depending on what kind of stress it is, I like to be in a different environment if its too serious. Most of the time though, I like listening to music because it really gets me in the mood and relaxes me. Sometimes eating works for me too but I don't eat all junk foods and stuff. I'll maybe just have a little bit of something just for the taste which is helpful too. Taking a nap sometimes helps a lot too.

nirali said...

Depending on my mood and stress is what depends on what i do. Sometimes i take a nap because it helps me refresh myself and forget. Sometimes i listen to music because it helps me relieve myself.