Is Technology Stealing Your Sleep?

My article discusses how using electronics before you go to bed can affect your sleeping. ­­­­The National Sleep Foundation recently took a poll and discovered that 95% of Americans use an electronic device before sleeping. Teens are shown to be more likely to use electronics before bed than their parents (about 2 times more likely). Most teens text people right before they sleep, and some people have done this so much that they have begun to have issues with texting while sleeping.

Using an electronic device can have numerous effects on your sleep. The screens on electronics produce light which can prevent your body from producing melatonin, which is a hormone that helps control sleep and is naturally produced when you’re in the dark. It is also difficult for you to relax if you use these devices before bed and you won’t be able to fall asleep easily. The author of this article also states that “the bedroom should be a sanctuary reserved for sleep,” so you shouldn’t bring electronic devices in there with you.


To prevent sleep deprivation caused by the use of electronic devices it is recommended that everyone has an “electronic curfew.” Teens should have limited use of their cellphones before bed and putting your electronic devices such as phone and computer in another room before bed can help.

Do you typically use electronic devices within an hour before you go to sleep? Do you think it’s easier to fall asleep when you don’t use electronics before bed?

9 comments:

Shai Hayes said...

Yes, every night I use my cell phone, computer or watch television an hour before I go to sleep. I also believe it is easier to fall asleep using these electronics before bed because I often get more sleepy when I watch tv and then go to bed other than trying to go to bed without watchin tv or using another electronic.

Rosalie Luciano said...

i do use electronic devices within an hour before i go to sleep. i feel its harder to go to sleep when i use electronics because i always want see who texted me and what they had to say. i know one night i was ready to fall asleep and i got a text saying that someone said something on facebook and i had to get up to see it. after that i couldnt go back to sleep even when before i got that text and when on the computer i was almost fast asleep. so yes i believe it is harder for me to fall asleep with i use electronic devices before i go to bed.

TaylorAnne said...

I almost always text within an hour before I go to bed, and usually will fall asleep still using my phone. I think it would definitely be easier for me to fall asleep if I didn't use my phone because I wouldn't be waiting for someone to respond, and the sound of getting a message wouldn't wake me up if I fell asleep.

kadian Thompson said...

Yes i do use my cell phone or other electronics with an hour before i go to sleep. I also believe that it is easier to fall asleep with out any type of electronics, for me personally i do have problems when using electronics before going to bed.

Tyler Barrett said...

Yes, I do use a cell phone before I go to sleep. However, I believe it's beneficial for a person not to use a phone before sleep so he or she does not feel obligated to respond to text message and such.

Emily Januszczyk said...

I agree that limiting technological use before sleeping would increase teenagers' quality of sleep. Personally, I have a hard time falling asleep as is. With the stress that comes with keeping in constant communication with others at all hours of the day will only add to the unrestlessness and anxiety. It would be ideal for teens to turn their phones off an hour before going to sleep, however it is not exactly realistic.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember one night that I went to sleep without using technology an hour before falling asleep. It would be easier going to sleep without it, but in this day and age its hard to do. The stress that we have in school with grades and college coming up, along with drama with friends and the ups and downs that we have at home it already delays us in falling asleep. The new notifications that we get from facebook or the text messages that inform us of something interesting keep us from falling asleep because we are so interested to see what they are that we need to check. In times like these its hard to live without technology, even putting it down for one school day is impossible for some people.
-Ivona G

Anonymous said...

Im addicted to my cellphone and ipod, so yess i typically use electronic devices one hour before going to bed.I do think its easier to fall asleep when you dont use electronics because most of the time the other things are very boring and not in my intrest. I also find it hard to sleep when using my electronic devices so i try to charge my phone somewhere thats not close in reach from my bed.

-danielle gopie

Anonymous said...

Rachael Thatcher

Yes I always use my cellphone before bed. I wouldn't know if i would sleep better without it because i do it every night as well as use my laptop most times. However i do realize it takes me a while to go to sleep if im texting someone because i am in conversation.